Daybooks, ledgers, time books, stock records, and other papers, including receipts, bills, orders, promissory notes, and minutes of stockholders' meetings in April 1845.
Files contain information pertaining to Joseph Smith's financial affairs, the Nauvoo Temple, and Wisconsin pineries. Items of note include account book of Black River (Wisconsin) pinery expedition of 1842, originally used by Peter Haws to record his personal financial accounts, 1833-1836; 1843 letter from Lucien Woodworth and Peter Haws in Nauvoo to George and Henry W. Miller in Wisconsin concerning pinery matters and informing them of Joseph Smith's appointment of the Quorum of the Twelve to gather means for the Nauvoo House and Temple; 1845 letter from Reuben Miller to George A. Smith concerning flour purchases; 1840 bond for property deed by James Adams; and 1841 bond for sale of upper stone house in Nauvoo by Hyrum Smith to Robert D. Foster.
Some Nauvoo House Association provision store accounts are cataloged in the Joseph Smith collection (see in particular MS 155 box 5 folder 13).
The Nauvoo House Association was incorporated in February 1841 for the purpose of constructing a public house in Nauvoo, Illinois. Capital was raised from sale of stock. Original committee members were George Miller, Lyman Wight, Peter Haws, and John Snyder. Construction was halted in March 1844, but was recommenced in April 1845, at which time George A. Smith and Amasa M. Lyman replaced Lyman Wight and John Snyder. Clerks were Ephraim Potter, James Sloan, and Lucian R. Foster. A few later daybook entries were made by William Clayton.
[Item description], Nauvoo House Association records. Church History Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah©2019 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.